And Baby Makes 3: a postnatal support group
These groups offer a warm, nurturing place for mothers and their babies to share the experiences of postnatal life and parenting. Gathering with other new parents for social and learning purposes is an opportunity to create a new community of women at the same stage of life. Mums are welcome to come and relax, ask questions, share wisdom and just be. Bring your baby and join us.
What’s in it for you?
- Learning baby exercise that includes stretching, combined movements and preparation for large motor skill development as well as movements to de-wind babies and help with constipation
- A great social opportunity to make connections with other new mothers face-to-face – the old fashioned kind of social networking!
- Discussion on a variety of subjects relevant to the postnatal experience
- It all happens in a relaxed social setting of trust and support
Some of the topics will include:
- Feeding – breast, bottle and solids
- Hormones, postnatal bodies and adjusting to life with baby
- Sleep deprivation and restoring energy levels
- Relationships, sexuality and contraception
- Child development and infant care
What to wear/bring:
- Breastfeeding mothers should wear clothes that facilitate feeding
- Car seat, bouncer, and any other items for baby to sit in
- Baby blanket or large towel to lie baby down on during exercise
- Small toys and other entertainment ‘necessities’
- Crying babies are welcome – they usually don’t continue once they arrive!
To register, contact Dr Diane Speier at: 07717 296006
“Your class was like a sanctuary…a mirage of a waterfall in the desert of new motherhood. I began it expecting to have a little break from my routine at home, but I ended up learning so much about babies and mothers and families that I am ready to face the rest of motherhood gleefully instead of anxiously…. Through your warmth, openness, intelligence and experience with families you have created an incredibly nurturing environment…I looked forward every week to each class; I saved up my questions about my baby knowing that you would have answers, explanations and support to alleviate my confusion and insecurity. Your class should be required for all new parents.” – E. Lazansky
“Diane Speier is wonderful with both the moms and the babies. My daughter and I have enrolled in the class twice and we have truly benefitted both times. Diane’s knowledge and understanding of new moms and their babies has been very helpful and comforting. Diane is very special and we have been very lucky to have been able to learn from her.” – M. Sternklar
“It has given me a chance to meet other mothers and exchange information both in class and outside. I’ve learned to value your opinion just as well as my doctor’s. If my doctor says one thing, Ray and I always say “well, ask Diane on…” I know this is supposed to be a critique but I can’t find anything to criticize.” – K. Basso
“In a setting free of ‘shoulds’, I was able to find my own way of mothering. By relaxed I don’t mean passive, for we aggressively sought for the best solutions through discussions and sharing. Evan always enjoyed the classes…Sometimes I think he looks forward to it more than I do! The baby exercises were a blessing to learn because they were so much fun for both of us! There are very few situations where adults (moms) and babies can meet as a group where everyone can participate.” – T. Bloom
“You were responsible for initiating and stimulating conversation, questions, ideas, and generally good feelings about motherhood. For me, the wealth of information you possess regarding maternal/child care and the support you offered, pre and post-natal, to me has been invaluable. You have such a beautifully gentle, self-assuring way about you. I enjoyed just observing the babies responding to your soft, yet very secure touch. It certainly gave me more confidence in handling my own little ‘guy’, especially during those beginning, unsettling months! You exude a natural inner beauty and self-confidence, making you such a special individual in your chosen field.” – L. Unger
“I will, of course, have a big hole in my week which used to be filled with your classes and I wanted to thank you. The advice you were able to give on child development was of course, useful but also a real comfort to know that what my baby was doing was ‘normal’ and to learn what to look out for next. You obviously love babies and I’m sure all the babies could tell – they certainly seemed very interested in all that went on in the classes.” – A. Jones