A mind/body/spirit approach to birth and parenting
The Birth Empowerment Workshop® is an experiential couple’s retreat for heart-centered pregnant women and their partners. This holistic workshop is designed to complement other childbirth classes and antenatal courses by focusing on the emotional and spiritual dimensions of preparing for birth and parenthood.
As a weekend intensive, The Birth Empowerment Workshop® provides you with an open and supportive environment to explore personal beliefs around pregnancy and birth and attitudes about parenting. Throughout the weekend you will integrate knowledge uniquely presented to enhance your understanding of how to prepare for a natural birth, how to enrich your relationship as you approach parenthood, and how to express yourselves as parents. The Birth Empowerment Workshop® helps you to access your own inner resources to create a joyful and fulfilling birth, as the cornerstone on which to build a healthy parenting relationship.
Birth is an initiation into a lifelong experience of parenting. The Birth Empowerment Workshop® was created to increase your mental, physical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing as you celebrate this rite of passage. Understanding the complex emotions surrounding birth and parenting helps you to connect more deeply with your partner. Embracing the spiritual dimension imparts the courage to make personal decisions which empower the whole family.
The way that we approach birth is a reflection of the uniqueness of our individuality and our personal interpretation of childbirth. By deepening our commitment to each other and to a healthy pregnancy and natural childbirth, we approach the parenting role as empowered, ‘response-able’ people. Through open communication we build bridges that connect us to those we love for the growth of positive experiences of family life. The Birth Empowerment Workshop® is dedicated to helping couples remain lovers on the journey to parenthood, and committed to restoring the fun and playful quality of family living.
The aims of the workshop include:
- Making the body/mind/spirit connection
- Taking charge of your birth and parenting capabilities
- Enriching relationships
- Embracing parenthood as a personally empowered experience
- Exploring spirituality in the context of family making
“The transformative nature of pregnancy presents an ideal opportunity for expanding our consciousness (in correlation to the change in contours!). The shell of our belief systems ruptures and inside we discover a magnificent kernel of truth. By suspending judgments and beliefs we learn to take risks, transcend uncertainty and slowly filter in new perceptions of our inner truth.”
– Dr Diane S. Speier
The benefits of the workshop can lead to:
- A deep and lasting level of intimacy as a couple that buffers the early days of chaotic new parenting
- A clear understanding of how our beliefs and attitudes deeply impact on having a baby
- The development of a healthy, positive relationship with our bodies and each other
- An acceptance of how giving birth can be a catalyst for personal and family empowerment
- An opportunity for women to appreciate and experience their feminine expression of power
- The ability to meet a challenge and integrate that experience into other areas of life
- A commitment to conscious and creative parenting
The Birth Empowerment Workshop® makes extensive use of experiential tools to enhance understanding and integration. They include:
- Creative movement and dancing
- Game play in groups and dyads
- Journal writing
- Affirmation/visualization process
- Music and Singing
- Role playing
- Guided imagery, guided meditation, and guided visualization
- Creative artwork and collage (vision boards)
- Earth attunement
- Ritual ceremony
- ‘Sunday brunch’ – a smorgasbord of sensuous bodywork and massage
The in-depth goals of the workshop are:
- To deepen our commitment to our relationship and explore new levels of intimacy
- To understand the power of the mind to create positive references for change
- To comprehend how body image and sexuality impact on how we give birth
- To know that childbirth is a psychophysiological event and that mind/body integration is essential to the process
- To implement open and effective communication skills with ourselves, our partners, our birth attendants, and through prenatal bonding
- To anticipate the demands/sacrifices of ‘the fourth trimester’ and create strategies for dealing with ‘newborn parenting’ as a team
- To explore a self-styled approach to parenting and bring a light hearted joy into the responsibility of parenthood
- To acknowledge that it is love that bonds families together, and to broaden our understanding of love in a spiritual context
- To discover the metaphysics of birth and beyond
Here’s more information about a workshop in Los Angeles on June 21 & 22, 2014.
I’ve written an article about the workshop at The Sanctuary Birth and Family Wellness Center in Los Angeles: The Birth Empowerment Workshop The Sanctuary
Here are some testimonials about this dynamic couple’s retreat that you might like to read.